Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Is Eating Too Much Protein Harmful to Your Kidneys?

Is eating too much protein going to harm your kidneys? That's a ridiculous idea, says Mark Sisson.

Dear Mark,

I am studying to become a nurse and am taking my first nutrition class at a local college. As one of our assignments we had to record everything we ate for an entire week. After looking at my results my teacher was dumbfounded. To make a long story short, my teacher told me that I should only be eating 38 grams of protein each day, and that any more than that could harm my kidneys. I've been Primal for 2 years and am healthier than ever. I am 5'2" and a very lean 105 pounds. Should I be concerned?

Renee


Well, Renee, I'm sorry to break it to you, but all those subjective health markers – like being "healthier than ever," a "very lean 105 pounds," and satisfied enough to be "Primal for 2 years" – mean absolutely nothing because you are destroying your kidneys by exceeding your daily allotment of six ounces of animal protein. In fact, it's highly likely that feeling good and maintaining a trim, lean figure are byproducts of impending kidney failure. The human body, you see, is a cruel practical joker dead set on destroying itself (hence the daily internal manufacturing of that poison known as cholesterol); it's only trying to keep you pacified with regards to your health long enough for outright kidney failure to commence. You should be extremely concerned. I only hope this message reaches you in time. Read more

 
Design by Free Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Templates