Saturday, August 16, 2008

Why a Food Diary Will Double Your Weight Loss

Want an easy way to double your weight loss? Sanjay Gupta, M.D. reports in Time magazine about a new study that found that dieters who kept a food diary lost twice the weight of those who didn't.

Two nights ago, I had a handful of M&M's. In fact, I can tell you I ate seven of the peanut kind, which is my favorite. Under normal circumstances, I would've simply grabbed a bunch, mindlessly eaten them while talking to a colleague and forgotten them entirely.

Instead, I know the specific number I ate because I am keeping a food diary. I write down everything I consume, with great detail. I had a single packet of ketchup with my eggs the other morning and 4 oz. (113 g) of green-tea-flavored frozen yogurt with my daughter two days before that. I started the diary because I wanted to test the striking new results of a paper published in the August issue of American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Scientists at several clinical-research centers in the U.S. found that dieters who kept a food diary lost twice as much weight as those who didn't. Read more

 
Design by Free Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Templates